PHILIP HOLMESBritish 1924 - 2007


PHILIP HOLMESBritish 1924 - 2007

After distinguished service in the RAF during World War II, Holmes attended St Martin’s School of Art in London from 1948 where he met Leon Kossoff and Frank Auerbach. Soon afterwards, the self styled ‘Gang of three’ then began attending Bomberg’s classes at Borough Polytechnic. Of the three, it was Holmes who developed the closest links to Bomberg and his teaching, eventually becoming a member of the Borough Bottega after its formation in 1953.

Holmes moved to Spain in 1954 and lived for a short while with Bomberg and Lilian at Casa de la Virgen before moving to the Pensión Progresso in Ronda. On his return to London he set up a studio in Kensington, before relocating his family to a new studio and home in Islington in the mid 1960’s. He remained at this studio for the rest of his life. Solo exhibitions of his work in London during the 1950’s were held at the RBA Galleries, The ICA Gallery, the Studio Gallery and Beaux Arts Gallery.